Vacation is a time to go low-key with your makeup, but whether it’s a weekend city break, a rural retreat, or a few weeks away on holiday, there's no need to say “bon voyage” to looking and feeling perfect. If you like to travel light and still have all your body and hair needs on hand, our top 15 travel beauty essentials are effective, multipurpose, and will help lighten your load.
1. Essential for any vacation is toothpaste, as it not only protects your bright smile, it maintains your oral hygiene. Most recently, Aesop launched its first toothpaste that comes fluoride-free and distinctly flavored. It contains mild abrasives to polish, Sea Buckthorn for its soothing properties, and wasabi extract for its anti-microbial properties that help reduce plaque build-up. Essential oils of anise, spearmint and clove leave your mouth cleansed and refreshed.
2. Right after toothpaste comes sunscreen, as it helps protect against sunburn and prevent the development of wrinkles and sagging skin. Many foundations contain a sun protection factor (SPF) today, so your make-up routine can easily be adapted, such as with Tinted Moisturizer by Laura Mercier: The lightweight formula hydrates skin, softens fine lines, and gives a healthy, almost-no-make-up glow.
3. The new and natural alternative to Elizabeth Arden’s famous Eight Hour Cream comes from True Organics of Sweden: All You Need Is Me. With 100% natural ingredients such as castor oil, shea butter and vitamin E, and no parabens, mineral oils, sulfates or dyes, it’s an effective multi-use balm that protects, hydrates and heals skin. It works brilliantly on cracked and dry cuticles, heels, elbows and lips; it can be used as a nourishing scalp and hair mask, as well as for insect bites, eczema, mild sunburn, and rough gardening hands; and it’s even suitable to use on baby’s bottoms!
4. Calling all oil lovers! If you take only one beauty item on holiday, make it the all-natural Goe body oil by Jao Brand. A combination of 28 plant, fruit and flower oils and butters, it softens chapped or rough skin, removes eye make-up, and tames and shines flyaway hair. Lightly scented with monoi from Tahiti, this multipurpose, semi-solid oil is absorbed quickly, hydrates more lightly than a typical body butter, and is longer lasting than a moisturizer, as well as smelling heavenly.
5. A facial spray not only refreshes, it gives you an instant wake-up call. The Caudalie Beauty Elixir is a natural, innovative, toning mist that sets makeup, provides an instant burst of radiance, tightens the appearance of pores, and is beloved of celebrities and makeup artists worldwide. The complexion treatment reduces dullness and is infused with toning rosemary, astringent mint, and soothing rose essential oil. Spritz it on hourly to revive skin, feel dewy, and look glowing. (It also comes in a travel size.)
6. Keep your pout soft and nourished with the moisture-boosting lip balm by Burt's Bees. The cult brand specializes in natural beeswax-and-honey products that condition and moisturize the skin. A final hint of peppermint oil provides that one-of-a-kind refreshing tingle.
7. If your face is in need of an immediate freshen-up, ILIA Multi-Stick will do best as a versatile tint for on-the-go application that melts into lips, cheeks and eyes. The all-in-one nourishing treat combines organic ingredients such as avocado oil and cocoa with the healing properties of vitamin E and shea butter. The dusty rose shade, At Last, will work on most skin tones and give a soft, natural-looking hint of a blush.
8. Whenever you’re facing a long-distance flight, a broken air con, a dive into a pool, or very hot temperatures, the Terrybly Waterproof Mascara by Terry is the number one. With carbon-black micro-pigments, the formula creates a water-resistant cloak around each individual eyelash to thicken, lengthen, curl and separate without risk of streaks, smudges or mishaps.
9. Much easier than carrying your face-cleansing gel, makeup remover, and towel to the restroom are cleansing wipes such as Cleanse by Lauren Napier. Slightly textured to remove stubborn makeup pollution and impurities from the skin’s surface, it cleanses and tones at the same time; water, aloe, camomile and cucumber extracts that hydrate and smooth the skin’s appearance, while reducing redness and inflammation. The wipes are individually packaged to use on the go for an energizing lift or a freshen-up.
10. After long flights or business meetings, skin may need a little extra help. Try the moisturizing biological hydrogel mask with hyaluronic acid by Magicstripes (famous ever since their pioneering eye-lifting stripes). It moisturizes and relaxes the facial skin and immediately improves its elasticity.
11. This one is mandatory: to enjoy your shower without spending too much time in it, use a shower gel that washes both skin and hair. The 2-in-1 foaming gel by French label Diptyque can be used for hair and body, pampering the senses with natural essences and leaving a smooth and super-fresh feeling. It combines bergamot scent with peppermint to tone the skin with extracts of almond and wheat, giving your hair volume and shine. You can even give up perfume because the smell is just fantastic.
12. Let's be honest, we don’t always wash our hair every single day on vacation. In this case the award-winning Klorane Dry Shampoo with oat milk cleans hair, eliminates oil, and adds volume and texture with ultra-gentle botanical ingredients. Safe even for the most sensitive scalp and perfect for all hair types, the product won't leave powdery white residue on your roots, but works like gangbusters on yesterday's grease.
13. Ever slept as well on the plane, or in beds that are not your own? Congratulations! For everyone else, Slip's luxurious sleep mask is made of pure mulberry silk for ultimate comfort and rejuvenating sleep. Lightly cushioned, it sits softly against your face to block out light while the smooth fabric protects against damage to skin and hair and allows skin to breathe, unlike any synthetic fabric.
14. To fall asleep faster, wake feeling more refreshed, and reduce unfamiliar odors, the soothing blend of This Works' Deep Sleep Pillow Spray will help relieve tension in preparation for a restorative slumber. Lavender, vetivert and wild camomile essential oils have an almost sedative effect that calms body and mind.
15. Inspired by centuries of Chinese wisdom, the Tiger Balm Red offers a unique and powerful formulation specially made with active herbal ingredients such as camphor and menthol. It helps soothe sore and aching muscles, as well as relieve tension headaches, sniffles, and insect itches.
Remember that everything you take into the cabin of your aircraft has to be under 100ml.