The designer Rosy Nicholas shows us a great way to turn an old simple black slip from our wardrobe into a sparkling pieze. Let’s learn how to do it!
I’ve taken a simple black slip from my wardrobe that needed some added sparkle to bring it back to life. I’ve used Swarovski crystal rocks motifs that are very easy to use and make a real impact with little effort or time. They are best use with a heat press but can be applied easily at home with the use of a domestic iron.
1. I’ve chosen to use this black strappy dress that needed some embellishment to make it perfect for the Christmas season but you could use anything you have in your wardrobe, the motifs will work with most fabrics.
2. To keep it chic I’ve going for a black on black polka dot effect, but they come in a variety of colours, shapes and sizes for you to experiment with.
3. The crystal rocks motifs come between these two sheets of plastic which help with the simple application. This circle design is 72031 in jet black, I am using 15 dots in total to cover my dress.
4. Make sure you are working on a flat surface. Roughly cut out the circles, and place them onto your garment to get the spacing how you like it.
5. When you are happy with the placement and amount, lift each motif and mark your place with a pin.
6. Because my fabric is a little delicate, I have trimmed down the film closer to the motif just to ensure it doesn’t mark the fabric when we apply the heat.
7. Peel off the white backing film, remove your placement pin and press the motif down onto the garment.
8. Set your iron to a high heat and make sure the steam function is OFF and no water in the iron.
9. The time you need under the iron will depend on what fabric you are using so best to do a small test if you can. Press the iron down for an initial 20 seconds with some pressure.
10. Lift the iron and peel off the clear plastic film.
11. To protect your iron and the fabric I then put a sheet of greaseproof paper over the motif and apply the iron again, but for this time another 30 seconds. Lift the iron and check its completely stuck, if you think it needs it press again for another 30 seconds. The total time will depend on the fabric, when its completely cool you should be able to tell.
12. Keep adding the motifs in the same way until you have replaced all your pins with crystal rocks.
The last step is to find a party to go twinkle at!