Whether you’re just back from a city trip, a beach holiday, or a hiking adventure in windswept hills, your hair may have become dry and brittle from sun exposure, environmental pollution, or even just day-to-day wear and tear. So give thirsty locks a drink with a hydrating mask that suits your hair type.
From monthly colorist appointments, an affinity for hot tools, or unpredictable weather conditions, there are a million different ways we stress our hair. To help repair the damage caused by chemicals, heat, environmental influences, or just genetics, there’s nothing better than a hair mask to get your mane back into tip-top shape. Not to be confused with your daily conditioner, a hair mask is more intense, usually thicker, and should be left on for anywhere from 3–30 minutes—sometimes even overnight if your strands are in need of some serious attention. Whether you‘re looking for a moisturizing mask for frizzy hair or a reconstructing mask for bleached and colored hair, we researched the best hair treatments for rescuing straw-like strands.
1. Moroccanoil hair treatments smell heavenly and gives consistently soft and shiny hair. The argan oil-based Weightless Hydrating Mask is a deep-conditioning but gentle treatment for fine hair. Its high-performance formula with nourishing ingredients and a rich and creamy texture will revive lifeless hair and restore even the driest of strands in just five minutes.
2. Dr. Hauschka Haarölkur is a hair-strengthening treatment that uses the revitalizing powers of valuable medicinal plant extracts to give the hair vitality and suppleness. Neem leaf extract supports keratin, fortifying, softening and renewing damaged, brittle hair, while chamomile extract soothes and balances the scalp. Rosemary essential oil stimulates and supports healthy hair follicles, restoring shine and controlling frizz, making it easy to comb. Massage through hair and scalp with fingertips; cover hair with a towel for 20 minutes; shampoo, then rinse. For dry or brittle hair, distribute a small amount to the ends of your hair and leave it in.
3. Forget about your daily hair washing routine. The Enrich Intensive Hair Mask by Josh Rosebrook replaces a conditioner a few times a week and resets your hair to its optimum health. This organic treatment contains the richest plant oils available for hair revitalization: African marula, baobab, argan, jojoba, Tahitian tamanu, hemp, and coconut oil, with ultra-hydrating aloe vera and herbal extracts create a powerful synergy so that the hair is soft, shiny and elastic without being weighed down.
4. The Swedish hair care brand Sachajuan not only has the sleekest and most Instagram-ready packaging around, but also offers a unique Over Night Hair Repair Mask. Its great convenience is that you don’t have to rinse it out, and it cares for you hair while you sleep. The gel product is based on pure water and has the highest concentration of the brand‘s own ocean silk technology. It is designed to build elasticity, strengthen the hair, and give a fabulous shine. A good option for those short on time but big on the need for nourishment.
5. Rahua Color Full Hair Mask helps to repair even the most damaged color-treated hair. The luxurious texture contains a high concentration of plant-derived Amazonian ingredients in a rich, conditioning treatment to add gloss, lock in pigment, and deliver extended hair color vibrancy with sparkling, long-lasting results. Infused with fragrant gardenia enfleurage, hibiscus extract and lavender essences, this deep-penetrating treatment is formulated to protect your color investment by encasing each strand of hair in rahua, morete and flaxseed oils.
6. For locks that are looking a little “morning after the night before,” Ouai‘s Morning After Kit includes all you need to transform your tresses in five minutes flat. Hydrate dull hair (and skin) by locking in moisture with Rose Hair & Body Oil that works to nourish and protect strands and impart a radiant glow. Make your style last all weekend by cleansing and volumizing roots with Dry Shampoo Foam, which comes without water and, unlike many others, never leaves a white cast or powdery residue, just bouncy hair that looks and feels like just washed. Then give your hair a perfect polish with the Finishing Crème and smell the signature blend of rose, bergamot, lychee and white musk.
7. Excellent for all hair types especially dry, colored or chemically treated hair, the Aesop Rose Hair & Scalp Moisturising Masque restores vitality, luster and softness to the hair, while soothing dry and flaky scalps. The intensive, conditioning botanical treatment is enhanced with hydrating actives from rose, grapefruit seed and lavender, and a floral, warm and woody aroma. Apply a small amount to towel-dried hair; use a wide-toothed comb to evenly distribute it; and after 15 minutes, rinse your hair with water.
8. Olaplex Hair Perfector No.3 is not a conditioner“ say the inventors on their website—it is a bond builder in a lighter version of the famous salon treatment to apply at home. Regardless of whether you have curly, thick, or fine hair, or you suffer from frizz or dullness, or it just seem beyond repair—the patented technology rebuilds damaged bonds in your hair and restores broken strands from the inside out. It is strengthening and conditioning, and it reconnects the hair‘s structure where needed, returning it to its natural state. For best results, follow the instructions on the packaging or website.
9. To lock in organic moisture and shine without weighing hair down, we’re turning to the Brazilian buriti oil in Aveda Dry Remedy Moisturizing Treatment Masque. The deeply hydrating, fast-acting treatment gives thirsty hair a boost and leaves in Aveda’s own aroma of lavender, bergamot, ginger lily, and other pure flower and plant essences. Use with caution if you have fine hair and rinse thoroughly, as it can leave it limp. Better suited to thicker hair, it packs in more oils like meadowfoam, sunflower seed, and jojoba seed for the ultimate in soft, supple, shiny locks. It only needs 2–3 minutes, a comb-through, and rinse—Aveda recommends a cool rinse to smooth and calm the cuticle.
10. Living Proof Perfect Hair Day 5-in-1 Styling Treatment delivers the five benefits that give you a perfect hair day in one easy step: smoothness, volume, conditioning, strength and polish. It smooths and strengthens the hair follicle, while adding a glossy shine and pumping up volume in all the right places. Apply the one-type-fits-all product on clean, damp hair, and evenly distribute from roots to ends. Comb through, and for best results, blow dry.
11. Davines NouNou Hair Mask is ideal for (sun-)bleached hair. This ultra-thick, luscious formula is designed to deeply condition treated hair, making it soft and silky and giving it body without weighing it down. Natural active ingredients like vitamin E and Fiaschetto tomatoes have a strong antioxidant action, while olive butter has an emollient and nourishing effect. Apply to towel-dried hair, leave for 10–15 minutes, and enjoy the citrus and spicy notes.
12. The cult classic Kerastase Nutri-Thermique Masque has had a makeover, and thanks to new innovations and formulations in the world of hair care, it’s now better than ever. It deeply conditions after only 5 minutes, leaving hair shiny, nourished, and smelling amazing. Perfect for immediate relief for anyone with moisture-deprived tresses, you can choose a product to suit fine or thick hair, and from slightly to severely dry.
13. Redken‘s bestselling Extreme Strength Builder mask rejuvenates damaged hair after just 5–15 minutes, leaving behind smooth, strong locks that smell super-sweet. The rich texture delivers protein and ceramide to help fortify weakened areas and reinforce surface protection and shine. Color-treated hair, especialy, will be healthy-looking and resilient again.
14. David Mallett’s Mask No.1: L‘Hydration contains high-potency active plant protein ingredients that penetrate deep into the hair to provide targeted repair at a molecular level. This strengthens the resistance of the hair to cope with frequent styling, as well as combating the effects of adverse weather and other challenging environmental conditions. Its fragrance-free composition means that the treatment is ideal for sensitive and allergy-prone scalps. For maximum effect, apply the creamy texture to towel-dried hair and wrap in a warm towel. This way, the mask can be left in for around 30 minutes during a bath or sauna.
15. Regardless of your hair type, legendary colorist Christophe Robin’s Regenerating Mask infused with prickly pear seed oil is a winner. Packed with oils and extracts, it restores and revitalizes your locks from root to tip. Its antioxidant and regenerative properties penetrate deep into the hair to repair it from within. It also stimulates your scalp and helps prevent split ends and further breakage. Suitable for colored hair, the mask contains inula flower extract, which restores the pigment in both natural and dyed locks, leaving it looking vibrant, healthy and full of vitality.